Sunday, April 15, 2007

Happy Birthday

It was a rainny gloomy afternoon...
I woke up to see my phone beaming 1315,
I've slept through my morning... Still bearing traces of yesterday's traumatizing remarks from the bosses...
The residue of fatigue seems to be taking toll on my heavy body...
Yet today was meant to be very meaningful...
I checked my phone's to-do-list...
and there it states....
"Collect Daisies from florist by 4."

I dragged my heavy body into the bathroom... and started to pick up pieces of me under the pouring shower...
And as soon as the plans I had for the night slides through my lazy mind... a vague smile was released, released from my tired heart, the last place i expect to find a smile so sincere...

I took a deep breath... while pulling my fringes to the back of my ear...
and there I stood, staring at my alter ego, the gloomy antagonist that takes over when I'm alone...
I then lift my finger... and pokes his head...
"You're suppose to make tonight meaningful for her!" I exclaimed.
My reflection nodded... and was soon clouded by water vapors...

Just in time, the florist was going to call to check whether I still want my daisies...
"Of course!" I overreacted...
Those are pink daisies you can rarely find without reservation a day before hand...
It's not a season for daisies...
and I can't settle for a day other than today...
Upon transaction... I placed the bouquet of daisies upon my chest... and started my march towards my car...

People were staring...
But I was too busy to bother the queer eyes of strangers...
I was too occupied with the tedious task of counting the daisies...

And so as agreed, I waited by her doorstep sharp at 1830...
She was still busy having to dry her hair... While waiting, I thought to myself...
"hmmm, would it be better if I present the flowers now?" "Nah! Why not a double surprise?!"an alternate voice responded....
and so I resume to my papers... and believe the daisies are safe where it is... in the trunk of the car...

"Wei... I'm not ready yet, can you wait a whee longer?" a voice came from above...
"Sure! Take your time" It was my day off... you can have all of my time for tonight.
"Tada! I'm ready, lets go" I lift my head from the new column i was reading...
There she stood... dressed not too extravagant... nor too casual... Dressed in yellow, a color so warm and vibrant... just enough to complement her energetic self.

And so we set off to the buzzling center of town...
It was pouring along the highway...
I was praying that the rain might stop just in time upon reaching our destination...
I dont want the evening to be spoiled by some torrential rain.
She was too busy toying with the radio to see my worried face...

and a voice was let out...

"I dont want to get wet can?!" she asked... =.=" In a very bimbotic way.
"CAN! "

She never enjoyed having long rides... especially during traffic jams...
"Are we there yet?!"
"hmm, almost..."

"Are we there yet?!"
"hmmm... few meters nearer now..."

"AHHHH I hate traffic jams!"
"=.=" easy for you to say... Look who's driving?!"

she giggled...
Every notion, every speech, every gesture was captured...
I guessed I was in an excitement above hers...Nothing must go wrong tonight...

"Eh? Rendezvous?! HAR?! Want to eat steak in that place meh, dont want CAN?!"
finally we're near to our destination, but it's nothing of what she had in mind...
so I played along...
"Cannot! We're eating in that stuffy place, which is very wet now after the rain"
Thank heavens the rain stopped just in time...

"K lor..." she frowned a lil...
haha... I can't seem to wipe that smirk off my face when she frowned...
but it didnt take long for her to return to her joyful self...

"Oh!!! Time is here.... Do what one time? Sell newspaper one ah?"
=.="
"It's the headquarter of a telecomunication center dear" =)
"Ohhhh, no idea. Nvm la." and continues with her sight seeing
Haha... It's not everyday she goes to the city center seeing how far her home was from the city...
Her expression was too cute to be ignored...
Already I am beginning to forget of what happened the day before...
I too was very indulged in that very moment...

"Are we there yet?"
I pulled the indicator...
"Yeah, we're dining here tonight."
"HAR? Serious?! Not rendezvous?"
"Yeap. We're here" as I drove my car to the parking slot.
Brake... Handbrake... Gear pushed to P
"K, lets go"
"I dont want to get down can?!" Again with the bimbotic talk =.=
"Cannot!"
"hmmm... I dont want to order can?!"
"Cannot!"
"HAR?!"

"Dont worry... Tonight, it's on the house... your purse is safe =)"

As we walk passed the reception...

"Welcome!" The manager greets us warmly... along with our hosts and hostess...

"Wei... I'm scared... I've nvr been to places like this... celebrate with me in mamak ma can lo..." she whispers...
"Dont worry... 21 this year :) ought to try everything for once."

The manager pulls the chair for the lady... and begins to mumble by himself...
As soon as he left...

"Wei what he said?"
"er... beats me..."
"Then you nod?"
"Don't care la... It's either have a nice day or something like that"

And then came the menu...
"Wah... hmmm... I'm not hungry"
"No! I don't care. You have to eat, I'll let you choose the main, the appetizer and dessert is mine to decide"
"hmmm, I Dont know la... I've no idea what all these are... you order la"
"alright then..."

Signals the waiter... after a session of profuse nodding and excessive smiling, the menu was set...

"Wah...!" she exlaimed...
"What?"
"You sure know your stuff ah! Always come here one ah?"
"Nope, this is the 2nd time, and I'm not good with Italian"
"But then you look so proffesional with the white sauce and some technical names for italian dishes!"
"Haha, Manage to cheat them eh?!"
"Yeah!"
"Well I dont know bout them, but it sure cheated you, haha!" I laughed...
her cheek turned a lil pink...
Wasnt sure if it was the magarita, or an reaction after I teased her...But it was all too alluring under the warm ambience of the restaurant...

I was too occupied observing her... and then it strucked me...
"hmm, excuse me, I need to use the washroom"
"oh, you know where meh?"
"No idea, I'm going to ask the manager"

So I hurried towards the captain/manager...
"Can you do me a favor sir?"
"yeah?"
"You see, tonight it's the lady's big day, can the kitchen serve my tiramisu with a candle on top? Please?"
"oh! Sure!"
"Thanks!!!! And one more thing... I have these flowers for the lady here... hmmm... It's in my car... can you followed me to the car from the back... so you can hide the flowers for me and present to her along with the cake?"
"oh! ok ok, I'll take the backdoor" The captain has been most helpful, I thank him for that.

And dashed I went to my car... and took the flowers from my trunk...
And when close is clear... I signalled the captain towards my car...

"Here are the flowers... thank you"
"You have good taste?"
"HUH? For flowers?"
"No! For girls! She is Hou Leng Lui ah, you're one lucky guy!"
"haha..." I held on to that laugh... thinking of the best way to respond...
I too wished what he said was true... but it would be too much of a hassle to tell him we're just friends...and so I responded with a
"thank you" =)

Happy and sad at the same time... a very confused feeling I had... no matter... I walked back into the restaurant and continue to visit the washroom nonetheless to avoid suspision...

"hei, sorry for the wait"
"hmm, where you went just now? why did you ran back to the car?"
"oh! I thought the washroom is outside...but soon I found out I took the wrong way... and turns out it was inside all along HAHA!" A very lame attempt to cover for it...
"oh! nvm then =)" Did I pulled it off?
"Dont be so silly next time" YES I DID!

And so the dinner went on... with chuckles and laughters... we laughed to our silly jokes... and listen to each other's stories...
Sooner than you know it... the last dish was served...
It was time for the dessert...
I noticed the host and hostess was liting the candle from the back... and the hostess was holding the daisies...

"hei, sorry about not having flowers... you said you wanted them..."
"it's ok... "
"and... isnt it abit weird without cakes and wishes?
"nvm la"
haha...
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" the crew went shouting from the back
=)
"Oh no! You didnt?!"
"Yes I did"
"And flowers too?!"
*nod nod*

"AHHHH THANK YOU!"
She was beaming with joy, but then... a pause broke it off
"But how am I going to bring the flowers into the cinema later?!"
"haha, now you know what's the sorry for"
"AHHH!!!! thank you!!!! Sor lou!!!"
I've tried pulling surprise party for friends before this...
But this was indeed the happiest I had...
"haha... sor por!"

"Eh eh, take picture!"
hahaha... typical of a girl her age...camwhoring is a trend.

"Wei, wei, we two take together!"
"hmmm, let's take outside by the fountain"
"Oh, ok, wait for me, I need to visit the washroom"

A golden opportunity...
As soon as she made a turn down the corridor... I jumped onto my feet... and asked for the bill by the counter...

"hmmm ..." the captain was silent...
"hei..."
"yeah?"
"haha... thanks for everything"
"sure" =)

when she returned... I'm already back at my seat pretending nothing ever happened...

"Let's go"
"where?"
"fountain ?"
"oh! Bill first la" she grabs her purse
"it's already paid."
"HAR?!"
"told you it's on the house"
"DONT LA YOU!"
"haha... let's go, faster faster... the canopy looks beautiful"
"WEI!!!!"

as she echos from behind...

"come let's take a picture here.... you stand there..."
"dont want!"
"why?"
"both of us take! =D"
"haha, ok!"

*chicak*

"eeee... not nice, my head looks so big, can?!"
"ok... another one"
"hmmm this looks ok..."
"another one pls"
"OK!"

as our head slowly alligned to one another's.... I turned around...
and planted a kiss on her cheek...
and whispered in her ears...
"Happy birthday..."

"Thank you... Hugs?"

"=) Sure..."

*Hug* underneath the canopy... beside the fountain...
a setting too cliché to ignore...

"thank you ah sorlou"

Deep down...
I heard myself saying...

"no....

Thank you...


you made my day..."


Indeed I've nvr been that happy for a very long time...
I thank you for that...
Sincerely
From the bottom of my heart...(Yes, must add this corny line)
And I nvr wish to forget that moment of joy you brought upon when my days are most gloomy...

once again...
Thank you.